by Elizabeth Renter
Right now, you could go into any department store or online and spend hundreds on beauty solutions, creams and cosmetics designed to “fix” your skin condition(s). But these expensive creams, elixirs, serums, and solutions are often chocked full of dangerous components like phthalates, parabens, perfumes, and colors that have been found to be harmful to people and animals alike. Fortunately, you have some much less expensive and more skin-friendly options in your own kitchen.
Here are 5 helpful beauty tips.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Organic apple cider vinegar (like Bragg’s) can be found in grocery stores all over, and it shouldn’t be sequestered to the kitchen when you get it home. ACV is a known acne-treatment, helps to soothe sunburn, and can even be used as an aftershave. Much of these benefits have to do with ACV’s ability to kill bacteria and open/cleanse pores. If you’re worried about the smell, don’t—it fades quickly and you won’t smell like a pickle. Here are some other apple cider vinegar cures,
- Baking Soda – You probably won’t even have to go to the store to buy this beauty tool, as it is probably already in your kitchen. Baking soda is good for whitening your teeth, treating warts, removing residue from your hair, and exfoliating your face. It’s also good in the bath and is one natural ingredient in many commercial bath solutions.
- Coconut Oil – Coconut oil has nearly as many uses as vinegar and baking soda. It is great for make-up removal, soothing dry skin, and teeth-whitening through a process called oil-pulling. You can even make your own deodorant with it.
- Honey – Honey’s natural antibiotic properties make it great for use on cuts and scrapes. But it’s also useful in beauty treatments like moisturizing scrubs and masks. Combined with oatmeal and lemon juice, to be applied directly to the skin, honey will help moisturize and exfoliate, leaving your face silky and supple.
- Water – Perhaps the easiest and least expensive beauty tool is water. You use it to keep your complexion clean, but hydrating from the inside-out will reduce the signs of aging and give you an ever-present glow. Drink plenty of water everyday and you might see issues like dry skin and acne disappear. It’s best to drink filtered water from a high quality water filtration system.