CAMP VICENTE LIM, Laguna—At least two persons were reported killed as heavy rains dumped by tropical storm Gener spawned floods in the Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) and Mimaropa (Mindoro, Marinduque, Romblon, Palawan) regions.
This brought to three the number of casualties reported so far as many parts of the country reeled from heavy rains and strong winds spawned by “Gener’’.
In Cavite, members of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) found the body of a still unidentified man floating in the water near the Coast Guard station in Rosario town at
around 6 a.m. Monday, according to Commander Rodel Aburquez, chief of the Cavite Coast Guard.
Aburquez said the man, whose remains were turned over to the local police for possible identification, was believed to have drowned amidst high tide in Manila Bay.
In Romblon province, a man died while another was injured after a roll on/roll off (roro) vessel they were onboard ran aground, two nautical miles southwest of Agoho point in Looc, Tablas island, at around 7 p.m. on Sunday, according to a report from the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (RDRRMC) in Mimaropa.
The report identified the victim as passenger Ernest Flores, 60, from Alaminos Laguna. The vessel’s chief cook Edgar Vecimo meanwhile sustained injuries and was brought to the regional health unit in Odiongan, Romblon.
According to the report, M/V Shuttle RORO 1 that carried 106 passengers and crew members was bound to Odiongan, Romblon when the vessel tried to avoid big waves and sought shelter in Looc bay.
The vessel, which came from Dumaguit in Aklan, however, ran aground after hitting coral reefs. The rest of the passengers were already brought back to land on Odiongan island but the regional DRRMC is checking a possible oil spill in the area.
Earlier on Monday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported that a man died from drowning in Antique province.
NDRRMC identified the casualty as 33-year-old Ronald Necor of Bugasong town in Antique.
Meanwhile, landslides and trees toppled by strong winds were reported in several parts of the region.
In Rizal province, a house was damaged when hit by a fallen tree in Barangay San Isidro, Antipolo City, said Vicente Tomazar, Calabarzon regional DRRMC director.
He said two families in Barangay Kalayaan in Angono, Rizal, were also evacuated due to a possible landslide in the area.
In Cavite, the coastal towns of Rosario, Noveleta and Kawit suffered knee-deep floods, according to Gov. Juanito Victor Remulla who ordered classes in all levels in the province suspended due to the bad weather.
In Laguna, two families from Mabitac town were evacuated from their homes as water in Mabitac river rose. Laguna governor Jeorge ‘ER’ Ejercito also ordered classes in all levels suspended on Monday.
NDRRMC identified the casualty as 33-year-old Ronald Necor of Bugasong town in Antique, who died from drowning.
The total number of families affected was 2,736, or 13,742 persons in Central Luzon, Mimaropa and Western Visayas.
Meanwhile, 2,600 families or 12,933 persons were served inside and outside evacuation centers.
A total of five roads and bridges were closed to traffic as of Sunday – two roads in Benguet, one in Mountain Province, one in Ifugao, one bridge and one road in Palawan, and one bridge in Occidental Mindoro.