He burst onto the scene in a big way with both Manchester United goals in the 2-1 win at Sunderland, but what do we know about Adnan Januzaj?
Here’s the lowdown:
1) He’s Belgian, but may not play for Belgium. Born in Brussels, his parents are from Kosovo and Albania – with the latter reportedly his preferred choice for international honours. Call ups to various Belgium age-group teams have been rejected and now Roy Hodgson is eyeing him up for England.
2) Belgium coach Marc Wilmots has promised he will not use United new-boy Marouane Fellaini to try and persuade the youngster to join him in the international ranks. ‘That is absolutely not his job,’ said Wilmots, which is a fair point.
3) He’s left-footed (which you may have spotted, particularly with the lovely volley for his second on Saturday) and has been touted as one to watch for a while – keen to take responsibility from set-pieces and exciting to watch with the ability to dribble he also takes players on and reportedly has a fine array of passing in his locker. Not bad, eh?
4) Described by Sir Alex Ferguson thusly: ‘Adnan is a beautifully-balanced player. He’s only 18 and has to grow into his frame but he he has good balance, good acceleration and is a very good technical player.’ Definitely not rubbish, then.
5) We’re not reading too much into this but he shares his birthday (February 5) with none other than former United wing wizard Cristiano Ronaldo. And Carlos Tevez.
6) Now 18, he joined United from childhood club Anderlecht at 16 and was reserve-team player of the year last season.
7) Ferguson named Januzaj on the bench for the final match of his 27-year reign – the famous 5-5 draw with West Brom so will always be the last new name on a Fergie team sheet. Not necessarily something he’ll dine out on but nice, nonetheless – and possibly the answer to a pub quiz question one day.
8) United boss David Moyes will hope to convince Januzaj to sign a long-term contract – his current deal runs out at the end of the season. They don’t want to lose him the way they lost Paul Pogba – especially as neighbours City are supposedly keen to lure him across Manchester.
9) He has a nice, sensible haircut. Not important to all but of note in this day and age of follicle flamboyance, Fergie probably approved.
10) Januzaj is only the second player to bag a brace on his first league start for United – the other was Ruud van Nistelrooy.
source: Metro UK