North Korea is threatening to retaliate against the US over a Hollywood film portraying the assassination of Kim Jong-un, saying it has “clear evidence” that Washington was heavily involved in devising the plot.
The stern but vague warnings come after Sony Pictures decided last week to cancel the release of The Interview following cyber-attacks and threats against the company. North Korea also said the US government was wrong to “recklessly” claim Pyongyang was behind the hacking.
In a further response North Korea on Monday said it was refusing to take part in a UN meeting where the country’s bleak human rights situation was to be discussed. The UN Security Council is being urged to refer Pyongyang to the International Criminal Court, the boldest effort yet to confront an issue it has openly disdained in the past.
Accusations the US government was involved in the film’s plot were issued by the North Korea’s powerful Policy National Defence Commission in a 1,600-word statement run on North Korea’s state news agency, KCNA. Amid the colourful phrasing typical of official North Korean statements – the US was referred to as “the cesspool of terrorism” while the storyline of The Interview was called “vicious and dastardly” – were warnings of unspecified retaliation over the comedy action film, which centres on a plan to kill the supreme leader.
North Korea had “already launched the toughest counteraction” to the film, the statement said, without specifying what this might involve. “Nothing is [a] more serious miscalculation than guessing that just a single movie production company is the target of this counteraction. Our target[s are] all the citadels of the US imperialists who earned the bitterest grudge of all Koreans,” it added.
“The army and people of the DPRK are fully ready to stand in confrontation with the US in all war spaces, including cyber warfare to blow up those citadels,” the statement said, using the formal name for North Korea.
The Interview, which stars Seth Rogan and James Franco, charts the exploits of two US TV stars who gain an audience with Kim and are then recruited by the CIA to kill the North Korean leader, whose eventual death is shown in a bloody scene. The film sparked fury in the country governed as a dynastic Stalinist dictatorship based around a personality cult focused on Kim and the supreme leaders who preceded him, Kim Jong-il and Kim Il-sung.
In the latest statement North Korea said it possessed “clear evidence that the US administration was deeply involved in the making of such [a] dishonest reactionary movie”, alleging that the Department of State had urged the filmmakers “to keep all scenes insulting the dignity of the DPRK supreme leadership in the movie, saying it is needed to vex the North Korean government”… see more
source: Guardian UK