Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has slammed the international deal over Iran’s nuclear program, branding it a “historic mistake.” He accused the P5+1 of allowing Tehran a step further “towards obtaining the world’s most dangerous weapon.”

Netanyahu condemned the deal at a cabinet meeting on Sunday and said the world has become a more dangerous place.

“What was achieved last night in Geneva is not a historic agreement, it was a historic mistake,”Netanyahu told his cabinet. “Today the world has become a much more dangerous place because the most dangerous regime in the world took a significant step towards obtaining the world’s most dangerous weapon.”

Intelligence Minister Yuval Steinitz, in charge of monitoring Iran’s nuclear program, has said there is no reason for the world to be celebrating.

He says the deal that was reached in Geneva on Sunday is based on “Iranian deception and self-delusion.”

“This is a bad deal. It grants Iran exactly what it wanted – both a significant easing in sanctions and preservation of the most significant parts of its nuclear program,” an official in Netanyahu’s office said.

Last week Israeli PM Netanyahu urged the maintenance of sanctions against Tehran in an interview to the German media. He said that Iran should provide more transparency and halt the construction of a plutonium reactor in Arak.

“And if they refuse to do so, increase the sanctions,” Netanyahu told Bild newspaper. “Because the options are not a bad deal or war. There is a third option: Keep the pressure up; in fact, increase the pressure.”  

US President Barack Obama plans to talk to Netanyahu on Sunday to address Israel’s concerns about the Iran nuclear deal, according to a senior US official.

Earlier on Sunday, US Secretary of State John Kerry said that the deal between Iran and major world powers would make it more difficult for Iran to make a dash to build a nuclear weapon, and would make Israel and other American allies safer.

Under the deal struck on Sunday night by the P5+1, Iran agreed to freeze its nuclear program for the next 6 months and cease construction work on the Arak reactor. In addition, Tehran agreed to stop enriching uranium beyond 5 per cent in a bid to allay fears it seeks to construct a nuclear bomb. In return sanctions on Tehran’s economy will be lightened, allowing Iran access to $4.2 billion in funds frozen as part of the financial sanctions.

source: RT