Thirteen people were injured in a drive-by shooting outside an  apartment complex in Northwest D.C. early Monday in a sudden burst of violence  involving what residents described as dozens of gunshots.

D.C. police released video that shows  a group of people running and ducking for cover as at least one person begins  firing from a dark-colored vehicle as it drives past Tyler House, a 284-unit  affordable housing complex at the corner of the busy intersection of New York  Avenue and North Capitol Street.

One victim was described as being in critical condition Monday  afternoon while others have injuries that are not considered life-threatening,  police said.

“We have mostly gunshot wounds, the legs, extremities, hands, some  graze wounds,” Metropolitan Police  Chief Cathy L. Lanier  said.

The number of victims increased throughout the day, with seven victims  initially reported and Chief Lanier  announcing at a morning news conference that 11 people had been  injured.

D.C. police released surveillance video of a shooting early Monday  near the …  more >

With 13 shot, the number of gunshot victims surpasses that of a 2010  drive-by shooting on South Capitol Street that was regarded as one of the worst  mass shootings in the District in recent memory. Three teens were killed and six  others were injured in a single attack.

Police as of Monday evening had made no arrests and did not know the  motive for the shooting but were working to identify two dark-colored cars seen  driving past the housing complex.

Surveillance video shows the cars drive down the one-way North Capitol  Street access road around 2:10 a.m. Monday. As the first car passes, smoke is  seen rising from the car’s window and a crowd gathered near the front entrance  of Tyler House tries to flee inside the doorway or duck and run. Six of the  victims were women and the youngest was a 17-year-old boy.

Police spent the morning collecting evidence from the scene, including  several cars parked in front of Tyler House that were laden with bullet holes.  Firefighters arrived on the scene late Monday morning to hose off the sidewalks,  washing away a trail of blood that led from the front of the building around the  block to New York Avenue.

Neighbors described being awakened from their sleep to the sound of  dozens of gunshots.

“It was just crazy to hear all those damn shots,” said a resident of  the neighboring Sibley Plaza Apartments who declined to give his name out of  fear. “It sounded like somebody was going to war.”

Though he didn’t see the cars race past, from the balcony of his  apartment the Sibley Plaza resident said he saw people run toward Tyler House  from the direction of a nearby nightclub after he heard the  shots.

The shooting happened close to the time the neighboring club Fur was  closing for the night. Police were investigating whether there was any  connection between the shooting and the club.

Chief Lanier has typically  shuttered any club found to be connected to a violent incident for 72 hours  while an investigation is conducted by the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation  Administration. An ABRA spokesman confirmed Monday that the incident has not  been relayed to the administration for any investigation.

Neighbors walking past the bloodstained sidewalks complained that the  Tyler House and other surrounding housing units have been a magnet for violence  for some time.