he NATO defense ministers will reaffirm planning for the post-2014 NATO mission in Afghanistan as the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) mission ends by the end of the year.

US Permanent Representative to NATO, Ambassador Doug Lute, said Tuesday that the planning for the post-2014 NATO mission in Afghanistan continues, and the alliance is expected to give a general reaffirmation regarding the new mission planning during the ministerial in next two days.

Ambassador Lute said the security and political situation in Afghanistan is changing with the development of the Afghan national security forces and delay in signature of the Afghan-US security deal and NATO Status of Forces Agreement which will give a legal framework for post-2014 US and NATO mission in the country.

He said, the defense ministers will assess the impacts of the important changes on post-2014 NATO mission in the country during the ministerial.

Ambassador Lute, said the ministers will also assess the security situation in Afghanistan including the development of the Afghan national security forces, the efforts by NATO alliance and Afghan partners in bringing full fleet of capabilities for the Afghan security forces and insurgency in the country.

In the meantime, he warned that there will be no US or NATO presence in Afghanistan if the bilateral security agreement between Kabul and Washington, and the NATO status of forces agreement was not signed.

The draft bilateral security agreement between Kabul and Washington was approved by majority during the consultative Loya Jirga in November last year, however president Hamid Karzai has so far refused to sign the agreement.

A similar pact will also be signed between the Afghan government and the NATO alliance once the bilateral security agreement is signed between Kabul and Washington.

Khaama