The shooting murder of a Pakistani student during an armed robbery at a western Sydney fruit shop will send a “very bad message” to other international students and their families about the safety of life in Australia, it has been claimed.

The Pakistan Association of Australia has condemned the “brutal killing” of Kamran Yousaf, who was shot dead during the robbery at the Villawood Value Fruit Market on Saturday afternoon.

Mr Yousaf, 28, had left his home in Jalalpur Jattan in Pakistan’s Punjab Province and arrived in Sydney in December last year to study for a Masters in Professional Accounting at the King’s Own Institute in central Sydney.

The Auburn resident had only recently married, according to Shahid Iqbal, the president of the Pakistan Association Of Australia.

Mr Yousaf had taken a job at the Villawood Value Fruit Market to make ends meet, and he was working on Saturday afternoon when two men – one armed with a gun, and the other with a hammer – stormed into the store just after 3.30pm.

There were a number of staff members and at least six customers in the shop at the time.
Man arrested.
A second man has been arrested and charged.

Mr Yousaf is believed to have struggled with one of the offenders before the second offender shot him twice – once in the head, and once in the stomach.

Police and paramedics performed CPR on Mr Yousaf, but he died at the scene.

Mr Iqbal said his association condemned the death of the innocent student, who was just doing his job at the time.

“The brutal killing of this student will send a very bad message to the Pakistani parents who are thinking to send their children to Australia for studies,” Mr Iqbal said, adding that justice was needed for Mr Yousaf’s family in Pakistan.

Mr Yousaf’s friends said on Facebook that he had been due to return to Pakistan at the end of the month.

“His family was expecting him home on the 28th … All they are going to get will be the news … Perhaps the most disastrous news of their lives,” one friend wrote.

A second man was charged overnight with the murder of Mr Yousaf.

Lance Murdoch, 27, was arrested at a Villawood home on Monday night and was later charged with murder and robbery while armed with a dangerous weapon.

In a brief mention at Fairfield Local Court on Tuesday, Murdoch’s legal aid lawyer did not seek bail in front of Magistrate John Coombs.

According to court papers, Murdoch is alleged to have robbed the shop of an unknown amount of money.

The papers also say police at Fairfield initially refused him bail, citing him as a “repeat offender”.

Murdoch, who did not appear in court, will next face Campbelltown Local Court on December 11.

Murdoch is the second person to be charged in connection with the fatal shooting.

Linh Dang, 27, was arrested at the scene and charged with murder and armed robbery in company.