For those who loves Tiramisu, it means “pick me up” or “lift me up” is a popular coffee flavored Italian dessert. It is made of ladyfingers dipped in coffee, layered with a whipped mixture of egg yolks, egg whites, sugar and mascarpone cheese, flavored with cocoa. The recipe has been adapted into many varieties of puddings, cakes and other desserts.
Ingredients for 6-8 people
- 4 egg whites
- 2 egg yolks
- 100 g (1/2 cup) of sugar or 5 tablespoons of fruit sugar (alter to your own preference)
- 500 g (2 1/2 cups) of mascarpone cheese
- 4 small coffee cups of espresso coffee
- marsala wine (or brandy or cognac)
- 400 g of savoiardi or lady fingers (sponge cake fingers)
- dark chocolate powder
- Make espresso coffee, sweeten, and add the marsala wine (or cognac) to it. Let it cool a bit.
- Separate the egg yolks and the whites of two eggs in two bowls.
- Beat sugar into the egg yolks.
- Beat the mascarpone into the sweetened yolks.
- Add two more egg whites to the other two and whisk until they form stiff peaks.
- Fold gently egg whites into mascarpone mixture.
- Quickly dip both sides of the ladyfingers in the espresso mixture.
- Layer soaked ladyfingers and mascarpone in a large bowl or pan (start with fingers, finish with mascarpone).
- Sprinkle dark chocolate powder on top.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
Notes, tips, and variations
- Savoiardi are the traditional biscuits used with this recipe, rather than ladyfingers. Sponge cake can also be used.
- Cream can be used as an alternative to thicken the tiramisu. Whisk 3/4 pint to 1 pint of double cream until stiff peaks form, then add the sugar and continue from step 2.
- Full-fat spread cheese can be used as an alternative to mascarpone; add some cream to taste.
- There is also an Atkins friendly recipe.
- In this recipe the term “ladyfingers” refers to a kind of biscuit or cake, NOT to okra, which would be an interesting variation.
- Whether thickening with egg whites or cream, ensure it is stiff before adding to the other ingredients; if it is not stiff, the tiramisu will not set properly.