The Pakistan Army spokesman has said the entire airport has been cleared and that all terrorists have been killed.

At least 23 people have been reportedly killed, including security personnel.

Ten terrorists were also among the dead.

ISPR Spokesman Asim Bajwa said that the terrorists “were confined to two areas and eliminated.”

He said that weapons, live ammunition, including RPGs, were recovered from the terrorists.

Bajwa said that they were wearing large packs on their bodies.

The ISPR spokesman said that Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif “congratulated participating troops for a well coordinated, successful operation eliminating all terrorists”.

He also said that Raheel Sharif “paid rich tribute to all shaheed and injured for their supreme sacrifice”.

Some eight to 10 attackers were said to have engaged security forces in a gunbattle.

Earlier, Pakistan Army troops were called in to deal with the situation and troops from Malir Cantonment have been dispatched, while police commandos and Karachi Rangers are assisting.

A huge explosion was heard over two hours into the attack. A second large explosion was heard near the airport workshop. A third massive explosion was heard a further 30-40 minutes in. Huge clouds of smoke continue to dominate the skyline.

Intermittent firing took place at the airport, while large plumes of smoke were seen over the cargo terminal.

One plane each of PIA and AirBlue, and a cargo plane of a foreign company were reported to have been damaged.

A hand grenade attack was also carried out on the Isphani Hanger.

Suicide bombers were reportedly part of the terrorist squad that has infiltrated the airport.

Staff is being rescued by the security personnel and moved to safer areas. Rescue teams are being allowed in after being checked thoroughly. Passengers have been evacuated and moved to a secure location.

Prime Minister Mian Nawaz Sharif called DG Rangers Sindh and asked him to ensure the safety of passengers…. see more

source: dawn