A 28-YEAR-OLD Sydney man says he’s smashed the Guinness World Record for a video game marathon, clocking up almost 136 hours.

Okan Kaya, sales manager with online retailer 4Cabling, early on Tuesday single-handedly eclipsed the previous record set by two Canadians of 120 hours and seven minutes.

By the time a relieved Mr Kaya put down his PS3 controller about midnight (AEDT), he had been playing Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 online against other gamers for 135 hours and 50 minutes.

“I definitely smashed it,” he told AAP on Tuesday.

“My hands were cramping up and I went through a lot of bandages. I even tried to ‘pad up’ my controller.”

Mr Kaya also managed to achieve an impressive world-wide rating of 29 after starting the brand-new game with a rating “in the millions”.

He said the Guinness rules allowed for 10 minute breaks every hour, which could be taken accumulatively if desired.

After failing to attract the sponsorship of retailers – who were fearful of being associated with “addictive gaming” – his employer let him use a meeting room, where he caught naps in a sleeping bag and sipped only a few energy drinks that had been sent to him.

The key to endurance, Mr Kaya said, was light and healthy meals, and bouts on a treadmill.

But when the weariness inevitably crept in, blasts of loud music did the trick, he said.

Not only did Mr Kaya’s boss arrange his sustenance, she also ensured he had sufficient witnesses to the record-breaking feat, which had to be conducted in a public space.

Every four hours, two fresh witnesses had to be brought in, and footage also had to be taken.

Mr Kaya said the documentation would soon be sent to the Guinness authorities for verification and he expected confirmation of his new world record in coming weeks.

In the meantime, some catch-up sleep was on the cards – although he said he was used to being sleep-deprived because he had to fit his gaming habits around his two children, aged five and four.

“I don’t play as often as other people do. I only play every couple of days and only when my kids are asleep,” he said.

“So that generally means I start late, say 9.30pm-10pm, then I stay up late and not realise what the time is.

“That kind of helped me (break the record) because I was only on about three or four hours of sleep when I went to work.”

Mr Kaya’s daughter missed him while he was away from home for almost a week, but he was amused to find his son was more concerned about the missing PS3.

Now basking in a serious sense of satisfaction, he says it’s unlikely he’ll try to break any other records any time soon.

“This is it for the moment,” he said.

“If I told the wife I had to go away for a week again and smash another record, she’d probably file for divorce.

“It was a lot of fun, but I’m glad it’s over.”

ref: http://www.news.com.au