SALVADOR, Brazil–World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo stormed past reporters on Monday after tasting defeat for the fourth consecutive time against Germany as Portugal lost 4-0 in their World Cup opener.
The 29-year-old Portuguese captain played the full 90 minutes of the Group G clash despite recent injuries, but he was powerless to prevent his side being overrun as Germany’s Thomas Mueller scored a hat-trick. “Three players are down to talk to the media and I am not one of them,” he said, brushing off requests for mixed zone interviews at Salvador’s Arena Fonte Nova. The Real Madrid star endured a subdued afternoon with five shots on goal as Portugal failed to make an impact on the German defense.
This was the fourth time Portugal has lost to Germany at major tournaments having been beaten by them at the 2006 World Cup–in the third-place match–plus both the 2008 and 2012 European championships.
Portugal’s record goal-scorer made his 112th international appearance, but failed to add to his goal tally of 49, which includes just two World Cup goals.
On the eve of the match, Ronaldo baulked when asked if his World Cup record–the Portuguese went out to eventual champions Spain in the last 16 in 2010–was the only blot in his stellar career.
“I don’t think I have to show anyone anything. If you look at my statistics and CV you’ll see that,” he said brusquely in Sunday’s press conference.
“I have no words for that question, I just have to continue my career, which has been great so far.”
Portugal now plays the United States on June 22 and 2010 World Cup quarter-finalistsGhana on June 26 in its remaining group games.