KARACHI: Federal Interior Minister Rehman Malik announced on Friday that mobile phone services would remain suspended in Karachi and Quetta between 1 pm and 12 am on Friday and on the 9th and  10th of Muharram, DawnNews reported.

Malik added that the mobile phone services would also remain suspended in Sector G-9 of the federal capital Islamabad between 3pm to 6 pm on Friday and that the ban included the PTCL’s wireless services.

The federal interior minister further said that instructions were issued for the removal of all garbage collection sites from Karachi.

The Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa had earlier announced the suspension of mobile phone services in six districts of the province during the 9th and 10th of Muharram.

The six districts facing the suspension of cellular service are Peshawar, Dera Ismali Khan, Tank, Haripur, Mansehra and Kohat. The provincial government of KP had requested for the closure of services during three days, 8th to 10th of Muharram whereas the federal government approved the closure for 9th and 10th only.

The Balochistan government also announced the closure of cellphone services across the province during the Ashura holidays, whereas motorcycles would also be banned near sensitive locations in and around the provincial capital Quetta.

Earlier on Thursday Rehman Malik while talking to reporters had said that the government was working out a plan on the implementation of suspending mobile phone services in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad during the 9th and 10th as well as on Friday during the Friday prayer timings.

ref: www.dawn.com