Medical records purportedly belonging to Michael Schumacher have been stolen and are being touted for sale to the media, it has been claimed.
Schumacher’s manager Sabine Kehm has warned potential buyers that purchase or publication of the documents is a criminal matter.
Ms Kehm said she was unable to say whether the documents belonged to the driver, but said they were “clearly stolen”.
She said Schumacher’s managers will “press for criminal charges and damages” if the documents and data are made public or even referenced in a report.
After waking from a coma, the 45-year-old Formula One great was last week transferred from a French hospital to one in Lausanne, Switzerland, to continue his recovery.
He was placed into the medically-induced coma after suffering a serious head injury in a skiing accident in the French Alps resort of Meribel on December 29.
The seven-times F1 champion was reportedly travelling at speeds of up to 60mph when the accident happened.
It is thought he was saved by his skiing helmet, which split on impact.
However, the racing legend’s chief doctor said in March that it was unlikely he would ever fully recover from the accident.
Doctor Gary Hartstein wrote on his blog: “As time goes on, it becomes less and less likely that Michael will emerge to any significant extent.”
The German, who won a record 91 Grand Prix victories, left motor racing in 2013 after a disappointing three-year comeback.