Oribe Peralta scored just 29 seconds into the Olympic final and added another goal in the second half to help Mexico stun Brazil 2-1 Saturday and win its first gold in football.

Peralta took advantage of a mistake by the Brazilian defense in the game’s opening minute and slotted a low right-foot shot just inside the near post. It was the fastest Olympic goal in at least 36 years, since FIFA began keeping record of the competition.

The striker added the second with a firm header from a free kick in the 75th.

Hulk scored for Brazil in injury time, but Oscar missed a header in the final seconds to waste the last chance for a comeback.

Brazil was also trying to win its first gold, which is the only significant trophy the five-time world champions haven’t won in football. The Brazilians established the London Games as the team’s priority this year and arrived as the heavy favorite after bringing most of its top players for the competition.

As Mexican players jumped up and down at midfield in celebration, the Brazilians dropped to the ground in despair. Neymar, touted as the future of Brazilian football, was one of them, sitting stoned-faced. Real Madrid left back Marcelo dropped his head and cried as his teammates came to try to console him.

The Mexicans started celebrating early in front of a crowd of 86,162 at Wembley.

Peralta’s goal came after Manchester United right back Rafael tried to make a pass backward. Mexican midfielder Javier Aquino intercepted the ball, sending it forward to Peralta just outside the area. With no defenders near him, he calmly fired his shot into the left corner.

Peralta’s second goal came on a firm header from near the penalty spot after a free kick cross by Marco Fabian. Peralta broke away from Hulk and ran unmarked in a semicircle behind other Brazilian defenders to power in a header from near the penalty spot. Brazil coach Mano Menezes heavily complained of the foul call that led to the second goal by the Mexicans.

Mexico could have added a second goal after another mistake by the Brazilian defenders in the 64th. Captain Thiago Silva lost the ball in front of the goal and Marco Fabian sent an overhead kick onto the crossbar with the goalkeeper beaten.

The Mexicans also had a goal by Peralta disallowed for offside in the 69th, and Fabian missed the open net with his header from a corner in the 72nd.

Brazil appeared shaken by the early goal and struggled to create scoring opportunities to try to equalize the match. Neymar started playing better in the second half and helped Brazil push forward, but struggled to get his efforts on target.




ref: http://www.thejakartapost.com