HIV experts have issued a warning about sharing manicure equipment – after a 22-year-old fell ill after using a manicure sets she had borrowed from her cousin, who is HIV positive.
The two cousins had shared manicure equipment for several years before the 22-year-old tested positive for HIV.
Her younger sister was tested at that point, and found to have the virus. Ongoing tests showed that the 22-year-old had advanced HIV infection. Names were withheld in the medical journal’s report.
Scientists ruled out other causes, and blamed the contaminated manicure instruments for transmitting the virus.
At present, sharing tatoo needles, acupuncture needles and syringes are banned to prevent the spread of the virus.
Now doctors argue that manicure instruments CAN transmit the virus – although the risk is considered low.
‘It should make people aware that sharing any utensils with possible blood-blood contact, such as needles used for drugs, tattoos, or acupuncture can result in transmission of viruses such as hepatitis C (HCV) and HIV,’explains specialist Brian Foley of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
‘In addition, there are other common viruses and bacteria that can also be spread by sharing equipment without proper disinfection between users.
The risk of catching HIV Is thought to be low.
Foley says, “This transmission of HIV by shared manicure equipment is a very rare event that should serve not to make people fear HIV or contact with HIV-infected people. HIV is not transmitted by casual contact, such as sharing eating utensils, or drinking from the same water glass.”
source: metro UK