As FIFA was launching its own investigation into the bribery claims against Qatar, pressure was mounting to stage a redo of the bidding process and find a new location for the 2022 World Cup.
It’s a path that could lead to the United States as a logical destination, although Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati reaffirmed in an email to the Daily News that he won’t submit another bid until FIFA changes the voting policies that have come under fire since a bombshell report exposed international corruption.
At least one FIFA official said he is on board with a revote for 2022 if, as reported by the London Sunday Times, Qatar won the bid with the assistance of bribe money. Under those circumstances, the U.S. would emerge as a favorite to host the tournament considering it finished second to Qatar in the voting four years ago and already has the necessary infrastructure in place. But Gulati said he’s sticking by his assertion from last month, when he called for changes that included transparency in the voting, an emphasis placed on the technical reports from each bid and “clearer and tighter” rules.
“The procedures would need to be very different to what they are now,” Gulati said recently about making a future bid. FIFA had already started to overhaul the process, and presumably the vastness of the Qatar scandal will hasten those changes — and perhaps take the World Cup away from the Middle East nation.
“I, certainly, as a member of the executive committee would have absolutely no problem whatsoever if the recommendation was for a revote,” FIFA vice president Jim Boyce said on BBC Radio. “If (FIFA chief investigator Michael Garcia) comes up with concrete evidence and concrete evidence is given to the executive committee and to FIFA, then it has to be looked at very seriously. The FIFA executive committee are 100%. He will be allowed to go and speak to anyone from around the world to complete his mission.”.. see more