There are several reasons a house fire can occur in your home. Aside from the obvious damage, devastation, and loss of property and personal possessions, house fires come with a high death rate. Here are the six most common causes of house fires that you should be aware of. Knowing each of these fire hazards will help you prevent them and reduce your risk so you can keep your family safe. It’s just as important as having a nice home security system.

Cooking Equipment

Cooking equipment is the leading cause of house fires. Pots and pans are used to resist heat but even some of the best cookware can be hazardous to you and your family. They can catch fire due to overheating or if you get distracted and something gets burnt in the pan.

Grease and oil are the biggest offenders for kitchen fires. Stay present in the kitchen when cooking or ask an adult to keep an eye on the kitchen if you have to step away for a few minutes. These are some simple steps you can take to prevent a house fire.

Heating Equipment

Heaters are the biggest cause of house fires during the winter months. Many homeowners don’t know how to use them or aren’t aware of their risks. They’ll place heaters in unsafe areas of their home. Your bedding, carpets, curtains, clothes, and furniture can easily catch on fire.

Portable heaters and other types of heating equipment should be kept four feet away from fabrics and flammable materials. You should also never sleep with the heating equipment on. If you own a furnace, keep up with its maintenance and repairs so that it works properly during the cold months.

Cigarettes

Smoking is not only hazardous to your health, but it can be dangerous. Never smoke in your bedroom and allow the ashes to fly while you’re lying in bed. A cigarette that isn’t fully extinguished can cause flame since the embers in the butt can burn for hours. These embers can ignite when they come into contact with fabrics and flammable materials like bedding, carpets, clothing, and furniture. Over half of house fires are caused by smoking cigarettes and cigars are being used or discarded.

Electrical Equipment

There are so many electrical appliances in your home that makes life easier but a simple spark can lead to a house fire. A power outlet that’s overloaded with too many appliances in use can cause a fire from the overuse of your electricity. Extension cords are also hazardous when overused or not used properly. Read all of the warning labels on all of your appliances to make sure you’re using them properly. Misuse of electrical appliances or damaged appliances are just some of the causes of house fires.

Candles

Candles are common in many homes these days. While they look and smell pretty, they can pose a fire threat when left unattended. A fire can start from a candle that falls over or one that’s set too close to the curtains or other flammable objects. Set all of your candles away from flammable materials such as bedding, books, clothing, curtains, and tissue books.

Never leave a room unattended and never sleep with them lit. Keep your kids and pets away from your candles since they can be easily knocked over. Prevent a house fire from occurring if you intend on using candles.

Curious Children

Children tend to be curious human beings. They’re going to wonder how things work. It’s very common for kids to be fascinated with fire and how it works. Most children love to play with lighters and matches because it’s fascinating to them. It’s important for your children to learn about the dangers of fires at an early age.

Instruct your children not to play with matches without an adult’s permission. Install smoke detectors in every room of your home. Teach your children about the stop, drop, and roll safety measures. Make sure they know the exit routes and rules for leaving a fire.

These are just some causes of house fires. It’s important that you do your part to keep your family safe and avoid these fire hazards as much as possible. Now you know how to be careful in every room of your home. You can protect yourself from fire damage with these tips in mind.

by: Gloria Jenkins